Monday, September 11, 2006

World Cup 14: Axe-throwing, horse feeding bowlers

Well the title probably leaves everyone a bit confused, so I'll explain... I'm writing this now to keep from chucking my computer out a 5th floor window because of technical problems. I've been trying to do a redcross instructor update for the past hour and the computer has been eating it each time I do it... after three times I've given up for a while.

So the past two days have been very interesting and hard and fun and everything in between. Yesterday we went to the Druids pitch at around 11:30am. We ate lunch at subway and then went to the clubhouse to watch the match video. There were definitely some frustrating things in it, but we were also able to see some of the positive things we did. After lunch and the video we got ready for an afternoon training session. Before practice began selections were announced. I'm going to be playing tighthead prop.

I didn't realize how much selections affect team dynamics but there seems to be a definite polarity between those who were selected and those who were not, at least backswise (I guess we don't notice it in the forwards as much because positions are constantly being rotated around and tweaked). I don't understand it because it's not like the people who got selected were involved in the selection process. There's no reason that those people should feel guilty for getting selected. Right now I don't think they feel as supported as they could be. I understand that it's hard to not get selected for a game, but divisions in the team can really impact morale and cohesiveness. It just splinters everything. Part of me questions whether I should be writing this but I'm not about to start editing my personal blog. That would take away from my sense of integrity about what I'm writing. That and I don't think it's a surprise that people get upset by selections particularly if they aren't picked. That's the nature of competitive sports in many ways. I guess the bigger issue is when that disappointment interferes with the unity of the team. Hopefully, once everyone has some time alone to process it'll be fine.

Practice was hard. There seemed to be a lot of competetive energy, flowing around. After practice we tried to shower before heading to Sue and Wes' for another BBQ but unfortunately were greeted by no water in th lockerroom. So we had to go with the deodorant shower before heading over there. When we arrived there we were greeted by several horses that were really excited about our willingness to give them lots of hay and grass. I guess the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
Ham pimps with the pony

Sue then showed us how to do lumberjack ax throwing. It's a part of the lumberjack competitions. Apparently people actually make a living at it. Of everyone, Mari was the best with the ax. She scored 12 points.
Lumberjack Ax throwing
Then we sat around the bonfire, while folks tried to break open a pinata. The cherry on the cake was when Wes told us that he'd hook up the sled-dogs to the ATV and take KFlo on a sled ride around the property. It was really impressive how fast those dogs run.
Sue and Wes' house
The only problem with the day was that my family wasn't there. They were supposed to be there. We were told once we got to practice that family and friends could come to the BBQ, so I called my mom and told her about it. They said that there would be directions at the front desk of the hotel, but there weren't. My mom had tried to call CArrie's phone to get directions, but unfortunately I didn't realize that Carrie didn't have her phone on her. So I didn't realize there weren't directions until Mari's parents arrived and I found out that they had gotten directions in the van ride out to the house. It was really disappointing, both because I didn't get to spend the time with my mom and john, but also because it hurt my mom's feelings because she thought I didn't care enough to find out what happened. I did and as soon as I realized Carrie didn't have her phone on her I went and called my mom, but they were back at their hotel.

When we got back to the hotel we just lazed about. I didn't realize how upset I had been by the miscommunication with my mom. I don't like feeling like people are hurt by me or disappointed by what I've done or haven't done. I spent some time talking about it with Jen. She made me feel a lot better. At that point I decided that I should put myself to bed, which I did by watching the replay of the Federer-Roddick match.

This morning was very low-key. We had breakfast and then nothing until 1:30pm. A lot of people went and did laundry, slept, watched movies, etc. I watched cooking and forensics shows with Jen. The we got ready for our Captain's practice. Ashley had been speculating that she thought we weren't doing the practice thing because of the specific clothes they had told us to wear. She was correct. We left the hotel and drove down the street to the bowling alley. There the backs played the forwards, with the forwards winning. We were carried by strong performances by Cox with 184 and Mari with 155. Then we were treated to some entertainment when Mari, Sinkler, Patty, Heather, and Farrah worked on their moves with 'Dance Dance Revolution' (DDR for those in the know) in the arcade.
Fashionistas
Then we came back to the hotel and had several hours before dinner and the jersey ceremony. As I explained, I spent that time wrestling with my computer and now writing this. So now I'll go and shower before dinner and the jersey ceremony... the jersey I get tonight will be indicative of my 10th cap... rolling into double digits.

No comments: