Wednesday, September 01, 2010

UK Eagles 10: Last Week

Yet another game day is upon us.  It seems I keep finding myself writing on game-days.  I guess it's because we tend to have so much time to try and kill on those days and it gives me something to occupy my time and keep me from being overly-anxious.  Although, I must admit, I am considerably less antsy today because I am not rostered for the match... That may change once the game begins and I acknowledge that I have no control over the outcome of the match...  But back to my post.

I slept like the the dead Sunday night.  I was completely exhausted.  This whole process takes everything out of you and my body was definitely over being functional last night.  I made a delicious breakfast burrito for myself, which definitely started my day off right. Then I got a surprise visit from Monica who came by to give me an American flag blanket for my room.

Monica left to head to London and I made my way over to our little grass patch for core before heading to the gym to get a little workout in before heading to lunch.  I am definitely missing cooking for myself and have been eating fewer and fewer meals at the dining hall.  In fact, I came back to the dorms and made myself a supplemental lunch of nutella, peanut butter, and banana sandwich with some milk.  It made me a happier camper.

Sunset over the ThamesThen it was off to a meeting to announce roster and go over match tape from the England match.  For the first time since January of 2006, I was not rostered for a match.  It was a strange sensation.  I am bummed of course, but also understand that my body needs a break.  I don't know that I would have had the self-awareness to recognize that 4 years ago, but I get it much better now. We had a practice to get the team ready for the game.  Then I came back to the dorm and showered quickly so that I could go meet Monica in London for dinner.  I had thought about going and then was waffling, but when I found out I wasn't rostered it helped me make up my mind.

Yummy Indian foodSo, PK, Ash, Hannah, Em, and I took the train out of Guildford into London to meet up with various folks.  Monica and I wandered out from Waterloo station and just meandered around the Thames.  We got to watch the end of the sunset over the river, which was beautiful.  We then spent considerable time in the Theatre district looking at the different sights before heading into a delicious Indian restaurant for dinner.  We ate a ton.  It was heavenly (I got to eat the left-overs for lunch today!).  Then we took a double-decker bus back to the flat she is renting and passed out.  This morning we strolled around the neighborhood and drank coffee before we made our way over to Clapham Junction for me to catch the train back to Guildford.  I spent some time wandering around Guildford shopping before heading back to Surrey Sports Park.  I spent most of the afternoon just visiting with people, getting bills paid, and generally trying to stay on top of everything back home since school officially started yesterday!  EEK!

From there it was into our captain's run before dinner.  My mom and John came over and we ate dinner at the Bench (the restaurant in Surrey Sports Complex) along with half the rest of our team.  Then it was off to the jersey ceremony.  After the jersey ceremony I came back to my room and got things organized for being back at work next week and did my laundry.  I know, it's an exciting life I live!  Somehow all of that took quite a while and next thing I knew it was midnight and I was heading to bed.

We got up this morning and had a leisurely breakfast in the flat next door.  There was a lot of laughing and carrying-on.  And then it was out to core and arousal before lunch.  And now it is waiting time.  Monica is supposed to be meeting me so we can watch the earlier games before our warm-up starts, but she appears to be late... that's alright, it gave me more time to get this done.  Alright, off to watch South Africa play Kazakhstan and then it'll be round 2 against Ireland!  

No comments: