Thursday, September 02, 2010

UK Eagles 11: North American Rivalry

Blair's fan clubYesterday seemed to fly by.  I watched some of the earlier matches while eating a picnic with Monica.  We watched South Africa beat Kazakhstan and Wales take it to Sweden.  I got to see the Groefsema gang all decked out again.  Then it was time to head back to the dorms and over to warm-up.

Final ScoreThe team played a terrific match against Ireland yesterday.  We won 40-3.  I am really happy about the way the team played.  Everyone seemed to be gelling out there.  It is hard to not feel like I was physically a part of such a phenomenal victory, but I know that I played my role.  But it's still a challenge.  Also, it's hard to see how well we played in that match and play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game in our head....  This means we get to play Canada on Sunday in the 5th place match-up.  How ironic that we would fly all the way across the Atlantic to wind up playing our North American rivals in our final match.

After the match everyone stuck around the bar at the Sports Park to watch the semi-final matches being held at the Stoop. New Zealand beat France handedly, but the Australia-England game was quite the fight.  England only beat Australia 15-0, and that score was 12-0 for the entire second half until the final 3 minutes or so.  I would've loved to see an upset, but alas, England is just too well-drilled and disciplined and were able to hold the Aussies out.  To this point, we are still the only team to have scored on England in this tourney.

After the games, I went back to the dorms and watched the newest Trueblood episode.  There were a couple of scenes that were freaky and I'm surprised I didn't have crazy dreams last night, but I guess I was tired enough for it to not be an issue.  I got up this morning with thoughts of school and work running through my head, so I made myself breakfast and relegated myself to a day in front of my computer.  Some folks are heading in to London, but I figure I've been there a number of times and I really need to get some stuff done, so here I sit... now it's back to it.

No comments: