Friday, August 13, 2010

UK Eagles 1: Welcome to the UK

Alright, so we are 5 days into our UK Residency... I might be a little behind in terms of my posting.  What's new?  But I'll still try to keep it up.  If I seem to be slacking just send me an email kick-in-the-pants.

So an update on what we've been up to for the past few days (I'll split it into two posts so that I don't get overwhelmed and not do anything).

travel dayAfter arriving in London at 7am and not really getting any sleep on the plane we were pretty much fried.  We took a bus out to Guildford and unloaded what seemed like a mountain of bags... upon reflection, it was a mountain of bags.   I took a nap, which in hindsight was a bad idea.  When I woke up to go out for a run around I was a bit of a zombie.  Luckily we were just trying to get a little bit of lead out of the legs, so we played some football and tag and other fun stuff so it wasn't too grueling or mentally taxing.

The fridge of a flat of rugby playersBecause we aren't officially at the World Cup village yet we don't have access to a dining hall, so we are cooking for ourselves in our little flats.  So after the runaround one person from each flat went out to the grocery store and stocked up the fridges for her suite-mates.  I volunteered to go for my flat and I think they all benefited from my love of food.  If you want a full-fridge, send a prop to do your shopping.   It totally made me feel like I was back in Americorps, trying to figure out how to get the most food without breaking the bank.

When we came back from the store it was time for bed.  After no sleep and a wicked time difference, I was exhausted.  I went to bed at 9pm and didn't wake up until 8am the next morning.

Tuesday we had double sessions.  We did some subunit work in the morning and then spent the afternoon on team play.  It was super gray and rainy, but the practice was really productive.  We came back afterwards and ate dinner (I almost missed dinner because I fell asleep watching 'The Weakest Link') before having a team meeting.  After the meeting I started reading 'Push', and next thing you know it was 11pm.  It is an intense book, but totally absorbing.  Luckily I finished it today (Friday), so maybe I'll get to bed at a decent hour tonight.

Working out as a teamWednesday we had another day of double sessions.  The forwards got back into the whole morning core routine again and then we went to the gym as a whole team.  The sports complex that is being used for the tournament is brand new, so the weight facility are awesome, though it was a bit of a challenge converting all the weights from kilos to pounds.   In the afternoon, we had another team practice.  It seems like folks are starting to get over the jetlag a bit and practices are flowing. 


Family dinnertimeBack on the home front, we are having a blast on our flat.  It's Vanesha, Kitt, Ham, Kmimi, and me.  We've created a little family unit.  After realizing that having only a few folks cook for the entire team was not very time efficient, we decided to start having each flat cook for themselves with one group doing the prep work.  So now we are having 'family dinners'.  

After family dinner-time, it was time for some entertainment.  So of course, Trueblood had to come back out.  We managed to find a website where we could get one episode a night per computer of season three.  So, Christy, Phaidra, Nathalie, Ashley, and I sat around my laptop watching Episode 1 of Season Three.  Luckily, we don't have the projector set up like we did at Bowdoin so we can't just sit and watch 4 episodes in a row. We are forced to take a break and go to sleep.

Unfortunately, that whole going to sleep thing was not happening for me on Wednesday night.  I was up until 2:30am working on this blog because I just couldn't sleep.  Hopefull a few more days and I'll be over this jet lag thing.  Luckily we had the day off Thursday, so I didn't stress too much about my inability to sleep like I would have if we had practice.

Alright, I'm up to Thursday.  I'll leave off and come back to that with my next post, so that I can make sure I don't get too far behind.  Maybe I can even get Thursday and Friday up tonight after episode 4 :)

No comments: